Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Showing a "hairless" dog in AKC Junior Showmanship?

Personally....if it was me, I wouldn't show her. Even though for juniors, YOU are supposed to be being judged, not the dog, anyone with experience in juniors knows that some judges very obviously favor kids with "pretty" dogs. Even though you've got a little bit of a hand up if that's the case, as she's a fairly flashy dog, especially as far as Borders are concerned. But, as I said before, I personally wouldn't do it. I was just gonna say you should show Snip It...but then I guess that wouldn't be that great of an idea either haha. Honestly, though, you've just gotta weigh the pro's and cons. As a junior, you are not going to look bad just for showing a dog who's out of coat. However, if you really want to WIN this show, I'd consider possibly showing Turner, Legend or Squishy. I would figure out which one of your dogs (or client dogs) works best with you. Which one shows off your handling skills to their very best? Which one are you the most confident handling? Confidence is the key to everything. Remember that! If you feel the most confident in handling Alley and feel that she shows off your handling to it's best, then go with her. If you feel one of your other dogs does, then use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment